Extermination of an Empire

With little time on hand, I find my writing to be progressing very slowly. The holidays are around the corner and I am working 12 hour graveyard shifts. That being said, I have still found time on my breaks to get the first two chapters rewritten!! While my progress may not be as fast as I would like, it is still progress.

In that spirit, I thought it might be fun to share a little tidbit with you. As I go through this rewrite, I am going to be celebrating every chapter being finished by sharing a snippet of each with all of you. Mind you the snippets you find here may not 100% match the finished book, but you will get to see the evolution of the writing.

Since I have finished the first two chapters, It may be appropriate to share two snippets with you. One from each chapter.

Chapter 1: (First Paragraph)


"Crystals of sugar and flour dust danced a ballet above our heads in the controlled chaos of the kitchen.  Cooks and bakers dashed past one another, escaping collision be mere centimeters. Their only distinction between the two being the color of apron tied around their white uniforms. So much of the chaos centered round the grand tower of cake that would be presented tonight at mother and father’s anniversary party. Each of the seven tiers embellished with candied flowers, dots, lines and patterns so intricate and ornate that I could hardly tell where one line began or another one ended. "



This is probably the happiest moment in the fist bit of the story. It isn't very long before we are thrust into the action and find ourselves wishing to enjoy more moments of magical kitchen bliss. What I am really loving is that the first draft in 3rd person was sitting at 2825 words. As soon as I rewrote it in 1st person it made a jump to 3580 words. In all reality that translates into another page in the chapter. It is amazing to sit down to a story and to see it flower beneath your keystrokes.

Now that I have shared with you a snippet from the first chapter, now we'll read one from the next chapter.


Chapter 2:

"Just a few more steps to the door and the kitchen, the cottage, would be a memory. I was confident enough that I would be far enough away by the time they discovered my absence to keep them from stopping me. The note beneath my pillow would explain in no uncertain terms where I had gone and what I was about to do.  The wind whispered from the other side of the door, inviting me. Ignoring any second thoughts, I took those last steps and eased myself out the door. The silence of the street kept my nerves on edge. Each door whispered discovery and every window reflected retreat. I wasn’t able to relax until the homes on the edge of Atha were at my back."

Our Heroine Elaura has determined to leave the protection of her guardians and return to her former home to confront the tragedies of the past and to once and for all make a decision as to what on Delta she is going to do with her life. Mind you there is a bit of time passed between the chapters. About six years since she lost everything. She has had a chance to grow up some but all of her education to this point has been a great deal of book learning. Whether or not she will pursue her father's throne or not is yet to be seen. We knew in the first chapter she didn't care for the idea of ruling and was grateful the lot fell to her brother.  Now we will find out what it is that she intends to do with her life.

With that, I am going to go and get back to writing on chapter 3 so i can share some of it when I've finished it.  Happy reading my friends.

---April

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nano Update

One step closer

And so begins the new year