The Oasis


Along with a photo to accompany it. Now mind you that this is very much not an Egyptian oil lamp. Please keep in mind that this image did fuel the scene you are about to enjoy!  As for now, do please keep in mind that much of the writing snippets I will be sharing will be from earlier drafts which often need more editing and will be adjusted at a later date. Do be kind.


                                            

However inviting the oasis had been, the sun dipping below the dunes had brought with it an eerie feeling that none in our small party could explain. This was the last stop before we found the sorcerer of Toth and I was eager to regain the memories that were rightfully mine.
“We camp here for the night.” Menefer announced, busying himself with loosing provisions from the lead mule. The guards followed suit and quickly there was a fire made and the tents pitched.  I sat by the roar of the fire, rubbing my arms against the chill in the air. No matter how close I got to the flames, I could not get warm. It was like the wind had cut through me, leaving my very bones frozen. A linen cloak circled my shoulders just before a chill ran down my back. I turned and found Menefer by my side.

This is an excerpt from one of the upcoming titles: When Once We Loved.

“Thank you,” I muttered, pulling the edges of the cloak tight around me. He smiled, the hint of a dimple hiding in his cheek.

“Try to warm up Neema. At first light, we’ll find the sorcerer and take back our stolen memories.”
I tried to return his smile, to echo his confidence, but something about this place was wrong. Scanning the place around us, a small light caught my attention. It wasn’t close by, but it was close enough I could see its glow. Drawing me like a moth to a flame, step by step I went to it. The wind ceased to howl in my ears, and the murmured chatter of the guards died away. Not even the frawns below my feet made noise as I trampled them. The light grew brighter, came closer, as if on its own.  I was close enough now to see the small brass oil lamp. Delicate flames dancing from its mouth.  No one stood near it, save for me. This lone abandoned oil lamp beckoned me nearer.

I reached out to touch the dancing flame, wanting to see if it would dance along my fingertips the way it did atop the lamp. A hand yanked me backwards, the flame left untouched. Eyes whirling, I found the offender who pulled me from discovery. Menefer’s brows were knit together, his mouth sitting open. He said something I couldn’t hear. As though he were behind a large sheet of glass, I could see him speaking, but not a sound passed my ears. My eyes found their way back to the lamp. The small dancing flame inviting me to take its hand and to join in the dancing.

Another hand joined the first on my opposite arm, only now they did not pull me, they shook me.
“NA’EEMAH!” Menefer was shouting my name, the guards approaching, hands hovering over the swords on their belts.  Free of the fog in my mind, I blinked away the haze which had clouded my vision and shook the cobwebs from my mind. What on earth made touching flame so inviting? I had been ready to put my hand in the flame. Been ready to allow it to dance on my skin. What was worse, I was unable to hear anything within its trance.

Menefer’s face appeared before my own. Confused and searching for an answer in my expression.

“What in Horus’s name were you doing? Did you not hear me call to you?”

Searching his eyes I struggled to find the answer he wished to hear. My mouth hung open, but now rods came out. I looked back to where the lamp was, only to find it gone.

“It’s gone.” I muttered, my attention still distracted. What was it about this place that felt so inviting? What clouded my senses so? I looked again to Menefer, fresh panic painted on his face.

“Neemah, what is gone? What did you see?” he pressed.  I was afraid of what it might mean if I was seeing things that others weren’t. Would I be sent to spend my days with the unwell and infirm?

“I think I’m just tired. I must have fallen asleep and had a strange dream.” I explained, not even sure that I believed my own story.

“Neemah, you don’t sleep walk. Please . . . Tell me.” His ocher eyes searched mine reading without understanding. 

“Menefer, I don’t wish to speak of it in front of others.” I looked to the guards and back to him, hoping he would understand my meaning. He sighed and shook his head. When he looked back at me his lips were pursed. He was frustrated. He only did that when he was upset. He nodded and waved to the guards to return to their task of pitching the tent. They hesitated a moment, looking back and forth between us, their expressions unsure. Though orders won out and they returned to the pitching of the tent.

“We may wait until we are alone, but I'll not have you shut me out, or leave my side.” He took both my hands in his and leveled his gaze with mine. “We are almost there. Our goal is close at hand.”  I could feel his fear radiating from the heat of his skin. Something about what had just happened had him scared. I could not blame him for this though. I was worried as well. What strange force had beguiled me so, that I could hear not the words he spoke to me? Perhaps he saw the fear in my own eyes, because he pulled me into a his arms pressing my head into his shoulder. “I’m with you.” He muttered low enough only I could hear.

We went and sat by the fire, his arm around my shoulder. A strange chill in the air prompted me to drape a shawl around my shoulders. The tent was readied and dinner passed around. We ate in silence with our guards by our side. True to his word, Menefer did not speak of the earlier incident until we were alone

**********************************************************************************

With that we end our scene. I hope you had fun diving into Ancient Egypt with me. Another snippet to come next week! I haven't decided where it will come from, but I will promise you at least a thousand words.  That or 980 words in case anyone wants to be anal retentive.  those who are that critical, you are welcome to remain anonymous or let us all know who you are by commenting. The choice is always your own. Until the next post.

--April

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nano Update

One step closer

And so begins the new year