Here is another Picture which prompted another small story.
This is a bit of a prequel to the Cracking Ice story Previously shared.
It wasn’t fair. Why should papa
demand him have such a profession to allow us to wed? Oh how I relished the
thought of stealing away to a little chapel in the country where we weren’t
known. William wouldn’t have it. He would have no part of any plan which kept
us from my family. At times I wondered why family was so crucial to him and yet
the answer was simple. He had none. I'd been blessed in a way he cherished and
he'd walk to the ends of the earth to be a part of my world. Family and all.
Father could have given him a small
plot of land to oversee to prove his worth. Instead he drove him to leave. I’d
been brave enough at the dock when he left. Bid him farewell with a kiss. Now I
sat in a boat on the lake, my jacket forgotten on the shore. I can’t be certain
how long I sat this way before my tears refused their keep. The bob and sway of
the water took me from the lake to the vessel on the sea. I tried to imagine
what he might be up to. He must be so ill. He’d never last more than an hour in
a rowboat before we’d need to dock. I’d always insist on a picnic to save him
from trying. Did he ever try.
My chin trembled, not from the chill
on the breeze. I wished for a moment that magic were real. That somehow I could
magic him to the seat before me. Divine a promise that he’d return to me in no
more than a fortnight. I know I’d promised him I’d be strong, but it was hard
to be whole when a part of me was gone.

Comments
Post a Comment