Once strangers

We’d been strangers once. I, the eldest daughter of a mercenary, and she the child of a baker and his wife. Now we sat together as sisters. We’d both lost everything in the fire that consumed our town and with nowhere else to go, we were determined to gain passage on a ship to anywhere; Or rather, I was determined to gain passage. Lillibell wanted to be by my side no matter where I went. She would not bathe alone, nor sleep alone. Not that I minded. Her small frame curled in my arms helped to abate the demons that lurked near the edges of my dreams. Lillibell would whimper in her sleep. No doubt re-living that awful night when all was undone.

There we sat, two ragged orphans with nowhere to go, and no coin to purchase our fare with. Three captains had turned me down on account of Lillibell. Seeing her as a liability at my side. They’d no idea how calm and quiet she could be in the most dire of circumstances. She hadn’t even cried out in the fire. I had found her whimpering in the ash and rubble, clinging to a singed teddy bear.

We had only one more chance with the last ship of the day. After this I would need to find us some food and make a rude shelter for the night.

A clatter a stone’s throw away gave me a start. My broken scythe rose in defense. An older woman eyed us both, a covered basket in hand. I could only imagine what might be in there. Though as I imagined, I could almost smell a fresh loaf of bread. Just the thought making my mouth water. I lowered my weapon and tried to smile, the eye-patch pressing into my cheek.

“Good day mam.” I nodded to her. Lillibell staring up at her with wide eyes.

“Are you a gramma?” Pried my sweet little companion. The old woman’s suspicion seemed to melt away, her expression softening. In the time I had known this little girl on my lap, I’d never seen anyone able to withstand her sweet charm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nano Update

One step closer

And so begins the new year