New update on rewrite
I don't know how many will read this, but I wanted to give an update to those watching the progress of Extermination of an Empire.
About a month, maybe a month and a half ago, I was very hopeful to be to chapter 20 by now. This would put the book nearly finished. Then I got a call that postponed my focus. I got the call that my grandmother's stomach had herniated above her diaphragm and that surgeons had deemed a feeding tube too risky giving the procedure a 10% chance of survival.
My Grandmother, Cheryl, was a huge part of my life. not many people get to say their grandmother was like a second mother to them, but I can. Along with my mother she always encouraged literacy in my young life. We would work together on my handwriting until it was legible and aiming for lovely. There was a library between her house and mine. I always called her my agony aunt, because she was always there to listen and offer advice.
About 13 years ago, right as I met the man who would be my husband, Her health began a decline. Type 2 diabetes hit with a vengeance and she lost a couple toes and her eyesight began to fail. Even then she was a cheerleader, encouraging me in my pursuits. Even as her eyesight failed, she never lost her love of the written word. When books became hard to read, she listened to them. Even got me started on audio-books when we'd go on long drives together. Though, her passion lied with genealogy. She loved to find people and build histories of not only her own family but those of others.
As I began working seriously on Extermination of an Empire, I'd tell her about the progress and she would always ask how soon it would be done so she could enjoy the story. No matter how far behind I fell, or if I shifted to another project, she would give me the encouragement that I needed to keep pressing on.
When I got that phone call, I had to be there. I told my husband the situation and his first words were, "Let's go see her." I of course in my anguish almost scoffed because of the 6 hours it would take to get there. He stopped my spiraling and insisted that we go the coming weekend, which was only a day or two away. He works in sales and cleared his schedule that Friday so we could leave early. The one thing I made sure to pack, was my manuscript. It didn't have to be perfect. I knew she would love it.
We got settled in our hotel and we made plans for my husband and daughter as I knew it might be traumatic for my little 6 year old daughter as she has already lost a lot of family in the last 18 months. We decided they could spend the day at a nearby aquarium while I stayed at my aunt's house where my grandma was.
I told her I'd brought her a treat She asked me if it was edible, knowing that she couldn't eat. I can't tell you how my heart soared when I told her that I'd brought he my manuscript to read. Her instant joy was all I needed. With all she was going through, we only managed the first 3 chapters before she needed to do other things or speak with other visiting family. No matter how far we got, I had the distinct joy to read my story to her. Even if only the beginning.
Now that we're all tearing up, I want to let you know that I am buckling down with all fervor to finish the rewrite and see my grandma's dream and my own come true. This story will be published.
Chapter 15's rewrite is done!! Huzzah! I have started on 16 and now face the nknowledge that there are 10 chapters left.
We're in the home stretch people!!
I look forward to sharing more with you soon. My hope is that I'll be able to bring you news that the manuscript is in edits and then in the hands of beta readers. I am grateful for my readers who are patiently enjoying my little snippets as I work on finishing the rewrite of this novel.
On a side note, I am starting the outline of the second book, to be titled "Ashes of an Empire"
For now that's all I have to share. Thank you for cheering me on.
--April
About a month, maybe a month and a half ago, I was very hopeful to be to chapter 20 by now. This would put the book nearly finished. Then I got a call that postponed my focus. I got the call that my grandmother's stomach had herniated above her diaphragm and that surgeons had deemed a feeding tube too risky giving the procedure a 10% chance of survival.
My Grandmother, Cheryl, was a huge part of my life. not many people get to say their grandmother was like a second mother to them, but I can. Along with my mother she always encouraged literacy in my young life. We would work together on my handwriting until it was legible and aiming for lovely. There was a library between her house and mine. I always called her my agony aunt, because she was always there to listen and offer advice.
About 13 years ago, right as I met the man who would be my husband, Her health began a decline. Type 2 diabetes hit with a vengeance and she lost a couple toes and her eyesight began to fail. Even then she was a cheerleader, encouraging me in my pursuits. Even as her eyesight failed, she never lost her love of the written word. When books became hard to read, she listened to them. Even got me started on audio-books when we'd go on long drives together. Though, her passion lied with genealogy. She loved to find people and build histories of not only her own family but those of others.
As I began working seriously on Extermination of an Empire, I'd tell her about the progress and she would always ask how soon it would be done so she could enjoy the story. No matter how far behind I fell, or if I shifted to another project, she would give me the encouragement that I needed to keep pressing on.
When I got that phone call, I had to be there. I told my husband the situation and his first words were, "Let's go see her." I of course in my anguish almost scoffed because of the 6 hours it would take to get there. He stopped my spiraling and insisted that we go the coming weekend, which was only a day or two away. He works in sales and cleared his schedule that Friday so we could leave early. The one thing I made sure to pack, was my manuscript. It didn't have to be perfect. I knew she would love it.
We got settled in our hotel and we made plans for my husband and daughter as I knew it might be traumatic for my little 6 year old daughter as she has already lost a lot of family in the last 18 months. We decided they could spend the day at a nearby aquarium while I stayed at my aunt's house where my grandma was.
I told her I'd brought her a treat She asked me if it was edible, knowing that she couldn't eat. I can't tell you how my heart soared when I told her that I'd brought he my manuscript to read. Her instant joy was all I needed. With all she was going through, we only managed the first 3 chapters before she needed to do other things or speak with other visiting family. No matter how far we got, I had the distinct joy to read my story to her. Even if only the beginning.
Now that we're all tearing up, I want to let you know that I am buckling down with all fervor to finish the rewrite and see my grandma's dream and my own come true. This story will be published.
Chapter 15's rewrite is done!! Huzzah! I have started on 16 and now face the nknowledge that there are 10 chapters left.
We're in the home stretch people!!
I look forward to sharing more with you soon. My hope is that I'll be able to bring you news that the manuscript is in edits and then in the hands of beta readers. I am grateful for my readers who are patiently enjoying my little snippets as I work on finishing the rewrite of this novel.
On a side note, I am starting the outline of the second book, to be titled "Ashes of an Empire"
For now that's all I have to share. Thank you for cheering me on.
--April
Comments
Post a Comment