Flickering Candle
One of my many passions is historical fiction. Especially that of
Egyptian historical fiction, which there is not enough of. As I have
been doing lately, I used a photo for inspiration. I cannot state enough
that I do not own the photos used for inspiration. It was found on
Pinterest and is shared only as a point of reference for visualization
purposes. I hope you enjoy this snippet.
- April
The flame atop the candle danced and flickered in the darkness. What a short life that flame would live. Cursed to live only as long as it had something to consume. Such a short and sad existence. Would my life be any different? I was not condemned to dancing and flickering in the breeze, but I would only have a short time in this mortal existence before I was hastened to the afterlife. What good could I offer this world before I meet Anubis on my journey?
A rustle of fabric behind me pulled my attention. I didn’t wish to wake him and yet some part of me wanted him to wake. To walk up behind me, his hands on my shoulders. I reached up and slid my fingers over the puckered skin just below the bone of my shoulder.
Would we face more danger than what stared us down within the walls of the palace? I was unsure of what to think of a journey through the desert, no matter how anxious Menefer was to depart. He’d been patient to the point of pacing the length of his room waiting for the physician to declare me healed enough to travel without fear of further injury. Looking over my shoulder to the bed where he lay, a subtle warmth like the sun at noon day settled in my chest. He’d been so kind and understanding since the archer’s arrow bit into my flesh. I knew he wanted answers and though I was afraid of what those answers might mean, I couldn’t deny him the knowledge.

Comments
Post a Comment