Rewrite update

 Hey guys!! 

I'm sorry it has been a hot minute since I shared anything with you. I will be remedying that soon!
In the mean time, I thought you might like to know how the rewrite is going. 

Extermination is within a chapter of completion of the rewrite. As soon as it is done (Hopefully in the next few days) I'll be ab;e to launch into the edits with my wonderful editor!  I'm so excited to be entering this stage. 

This has been a long journey. When I began writing Extermination of an Empire 7 years ago, I had no idea it would take me this long or that it would be such a journey to get to this point.  When I started, I was so positive that EOE would be a big hit. I still hold this belief but I know that much of its success will be because of hard work and willingness to learn. 

As a new writer, you are afraid of plagiarism, you are afraid of offending, you are terrified of people not liking your work. So much so, that you are afraid to share your work with others.  This fear, while normal, will hinder your abilities to grow as a writer. I sat stuck in my methods for a while before I took the plunge and shared my writing with others.

I found the largest writing group on Facebook that I could and took the first opportunity to share. The response was terrible.  Maybe one person responded positively, while the rest blasted me for my writing skill. To be honest, it was pretty bad.  What I faced was a pivotal decision. 

I could have chosen to hide in the corner afraid of what others thought of my writing, or forge ahead. I chose the latter. I later found that smaller writing groups were often much more inviting and did more to grow one another. When I was a member of the large group, I found that other members who had grown in the craft already were rather judgemental and just wanted to quit under the weight of their disapproval.  

In the smaller group I found people that believed in me and my story who were willing to make suggestions on how I could improve. Their belief in me helped me to recognize the value in their critique. No longer was I faced down with disapproving stares, I was built up by people who knew I could be better  if only I had the help. 

This is so true of so many young budding writers. No matter your age, writing is a process and the first book will always take the longest. and take a great deal of you with it. And it is so rewarding. 

I am so excited to share EOE with all of you!! Hopefully there will be good news soon. 

I hope all of you are safe and well. 

April.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nano Update

One step closer

And so begins the new year